10 July 2010

Wi-Tribe's 4G sucks

Damn! Loading Google's homepage took me 10 seconds! Yes, I know. I may sound like a whining brat but a delay of 10 seconds in cyberspace is like an eternity especially at this time when modernity has been speaking of breakthroughs in digital communication.

Roughly two months ago, I woke-up at seven in the morning to finish my pending article which was due later at nine. Because I tend to write fast whenever deadline is nearing, the article was done at eight. I logged into my e-mail account to send my finished article to my immediate superiors but to my horror, it appeared that our PLDT DSL service had been cut off. Mom failed to pay the long overdue bills on time and it would take about a couple of days before we get a hold of our DSL connection if we were to settle our balances that day. I could not afford being “disconnected” from the Internet at home since my writing stint is largely dependent on it. To cut the long story short, I subscribed to another Internet service provider. By 1 PM, I am hooked up again in the cyber world thanks to Wi-Tribe.

Wi-Tribe’s 4G
I learned of Wi-Tribe through the promotional flyers that were disseminated around our village. Wi-Tribe is a new player in the arena of local Internet service providers, specifically the wireless broadband services. It is operated by the local telecommunication company Liberty Broadcasting Network Inc. in partnership with San Miguel Corporation and the Qatar-based telecommunication company Qtel Group. The selling proposition of this ISP is its “unlimited Internet connection” powered by a “4g wireless broadband technology.” Accordingly, 4G surpasses 3G technology offered by other wireless ISPs such as Globe, Smart, and Sun since it is specifically made for the transmission of bigger data such as multimedia as compared to 3G, which on the other hand, is only made for voice transmission.

I availed the “Move Up Plan 998” at 1 Mbps connection speed which cost me just a thousand pesos including the plug-and-play modem from Motorola. The 1 mbps plan amounts at PhP 998 monthly and this is considerably cheap in my opinion. Locked-in for a 24-month period, my first few weeks of surfing the Internet was hassle-free. It was fast. I constantly tested the connection through speedtest.net and got an impressive average of 0.90 Mbps download speed and about 0.70 Mbps upload speed. With this speed, I enjoyed surfing the Internet, browsing through Facebook, blogging, working, and watching streaming videos from time to time. Such happy days of Internet usage however met its end a month after my subscription.

They say “4G is here” but where is it?
Connection was starting to be inconsistent. Most of the time, my connection speed was just plain bull. I am aware of Wi-Tribe’s bandwidth capping pronounced in its Fair Usage Policy. As mentioned, subscribers are limited to 6 GB worth of downloadable data per month. Upon reaching the limit, the 1 Mbps speed will be reduced to half.

This capping is placed to prevent abusive Internet usage such as illegal downloading of files through Torrent. However, I am also aware that it is impossible for me to exceed the 6 GB limit since most of the time, I use the Internet to surf through webpages and I watch streaming videos once in a while. 

The sales agent assured me that I could still enjoy a decent Internet connection speed even with the cap at place. 500 Kbps is a decent connection speed after all. Yet, it appears that my connection averaged around 15 Kbps! There was also this single instance when I was unable to connect to the Internet for two hours but thank goodness that it never happened again…well, as of the moment. What is really annoying with Wi-Tribe is its consistency–terribly consistent at giving me 15 Kbps download speed.

Troublesome Wi-Tribe
Upon recognizing the boo-boo, I also realized that I should have gone through the contract in the first place. One provision stipulates that it is impossible readily terminate an account. Doing so will entail a subscriber to pay the remaining months of the 24-month locked-in period. In my case, it would cost me around Php 22,000 to have my account terminated.

I also realized that capping should not be allowed at all. Wi-Tribe managed to fool me by saying that they provide “unlimited” Internet connection. How is it possible to have an “unlimited” Internet usage while “limiting” the transmission of data to 6 GB a month? Perhaps, the company went overboard with their claims with 4G. Of course, 4G is broadband and as such, it is susceptible to bandwidth traffic. The company may have a limited bandwidth as of the moment and they use the so-called fair usage policy as a guise to their technical shortcomings.

Time is gold in Internet browsing. I was caught in the trap set by Wi-Tribe after promising me of a rich Internet experience. It was an exciting promise because I thought Wi-Tribe was advancing the wireless digital communication technology here in the Philippines. Apparently, this ISP made me feel that I am back in the heydays of dial-up Internet. Anyhow, I am not plugging out the cables yet and sadly, I’m still connected through Wi-Tribe.

20 Comments |:

Anonymous,  July 15, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

There’s more Wi-Tribe Complaints here!

Share and Join this FACEBOOK PAGE with your friends, so they can be made aware before signing up with Wi-Tribe!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wi-Tribe-Complaints/120077124670370

Wilbert July 20, 2010 at 1:30 AM  

You should have consulted your momma before subscribing kid.

Misery2727 August 17, 2010 at 3:27 AM  

hahaha, Same here, what pissed me the most is the reason why i avail an internet connection in my house is so that i can watch my favorite anime series online while i'm at home... but to my disgust, after 1 week, yes 1 week my connecton is down to 500 kbps, 3 days more it’s 300 kbps and after the 2nd week my connection is crawling to 100 kbps, darn... I was cheated.., the sale rep (The seller )from Festival Mall said that after i consumed the alloted 6gig of allowable usage my connection will down to half, that’s it, so i have to wait until the end of the month to have my connection back to 1mps, but he assure me that is only for the download speed, My surfing and video steaming will never be affected bcoz of this 4g thingie... He explain (Sales Talk) that they uses the most advance internet whatsoever and even my download speed is down to 500kbps my vid streaming is should still be 1mbps... But when i call the custumer service hotline of witribe they explain that it’s all wrong... yes after a use more than 6gig my connection will be down 500kbps, but after i consume more than 8gig my connection will be down to 250kbps, then if it’s more then 9 or higher u have to suffer with 100kbps connection... they also say that the download and video streaming thingie is wrong, they explain that once my connection is decrease, my video streaming will be slower as well... i used thier Usage calculator online and i’m so surprise to see that it says that if you watch online vids (for ex from youtube) for an hour you are consuming 700mb of your 6gig allowable usage... chech it yourself, thats imposible how come i already consuming 700mb by just watching one hour youtube vid..., i asked the custumer service rep (so it means pag nag youtube ako ng whole day may possibility na magamit ko ung lahat ng 6gig for one day?) they just say “Parang ganun na nga po sir...” WTF, I believe that i have enough reasons to terminate my contract, first, the lies that sale rep told me before i bought the product is enought, second the questionable 6gig usable internet speed for a month does really seem 6gig, I restrict my self the second month from streaming online vids but still i consumed the 6gig b4 the end of the month... The only thing that i can do with out any problems is with Facebook, so far i’m not encountering any problem as far as facebook is concern but darn, i dint get the internet just to post chat in facebook... i’m not even playing any game from there, so to cut the long story short, they (Wi-tribe) should do something about this crap or else... I’m ready to face them in wherever court (Kahit sa supreme Court pa yan lol)with the advice of my legal advisors...hehehehe... Is anyone with me?

Matt Matt Emmanuel August 17, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

To Misery2727,

Watching streaming videos also means downloading. While watching at YouTube, technically, your computer is saving the video into a temporary directory somewhere in your hard drive. A 10 minute worth of YouTube video in addition would amount to around 20 to 40 MB, so watching videos can really suck the life out of that stupid 6GB limit.

And I also noticed that WiTribe cuts the connection below 512kbps once I consumed 10GB. Man, this is the worst service provider right? And they also render poor customer service representation. If you try to complain about their troublesome connection speed, the only reason they can give you is, "You exceeded your cap limit etc etc etc." They cannot explain why am I experiencing server lags, connection timeouts, etc. Opening an email address would take minutes! Hay buhay.

Anonymous,  September 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM  

I fell into their trap too. On their first week of service, I experienced a brown out for two days due to a storm. When I had my power back, my connection was so slow that I couldn't even check my account in their website. I had to call them up to know my account's status.

My status said that we used up the 6 GB allowance. Our statement said that 4 GB was used during the days I had no power.

How was that possible?? How can we consume that much GB with the modem off??

They never answered this mystery. So we cut their contract. We didn't pay for the disconnection fee because they never fulfilled their part of the contract. We payed the initial fees, they never delivered.

Wi Tribe Sucks!

Anonymous,  March 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM  

Guys, on my opinion lang.. when it comes to connection on internet, if it is wireless you should expect the unexpected.. sometimes you can get the peak speed sometimes not. The thing is it is not always consistent co'z there are so many interference in the airwaves..

The thing that bothers me is regarding their contract and service etc.. Balak ko pa namang magsubscribe sa kanila.. Thank goodness nagsearch muna ako sa web..

And also I experienced on a company that I am servicing, one computer on their network is using wi-tribe while others in pldt, the other pc's are being redirected to wi-tribe portal asking them to log-in so they can browse the internet (kahit anong site ang itype mo redirected parin sa portal nila).

Anonymous,  March 23, 2011 at 1:20 AM  

tama,pinapull out ko din yung wi tribe ko Negative 4G :D

loverboy,  May 26, 2011 at 7:42 AM  

grabe tong wi-tribe na to ang daya talaga.. binabagalan nila ung connection mo para mag avail ka ng mas mataas.. this wi tribe SUCKS!!!!

Anonymous,  June 15, 2011 at 6:07 AM  

No worries... starting June 2011 witribe caplimit is already gone. so its now really unlimited. wala ng 1gig, 6gig, 12 gig limit. so if you availed of the 1mbps its going to be 1mbps for the whole month na.

for more info and inquiries to subscribe or for free demo just call or text chris 09094770000

Shandye June 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM  

talaga? wala nang gig gig starting june 2011? pakicheck nga ng account nyo sa www.wi-tribe.ph at makikita nyo sa account information nyo na andon pa din ang monitoring ng usage nyo. grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Anonymous,  February 26, 2012 at 5:35 AM  

Wala nang gig capping pero may fair usage policy naman na pinalit which is the same thing.
Apparently, the company is run by marketing dudes. Maganda pakinggan at tingnan pero basura ang produkto.

Anonymous,  July 16, 2012 at 3:53 AM  

Walang cap daw. Paksyet na witribe yan, wag na wag kayong susubok sa ISP na to. Kagigil na speed, unstable at higit sa lahat mahirap ikontak

Anonymous,  August 18, 2012 at 5:57 AM  

me too. i fell in to their trap im paying 1298/month for up to 4mps, and my connection is slower than dial up. im thingking of reporting this to cocern to DTI.

Rok On! August 29, 2012 at 2:44 PM  

This thread is very old yet still reliable! What's DAFAQ is wrong with your devices wi-tribe? Tinalo nyo pa yung 56 kbps na dial-up sa kabagalan! Actually mas mabilis pa ang dial-up ng blast internet sa lowest plan nyo!!! Punong puno yung signal ng modem ko pero ang speed eh 10-20 kbps? Putek anti-virus ko palang hirap na mag-update eh. 4G? ano ibig sabihin nun? 4X LAGGGG? WHAT DUH??? konting ambon lang disconnected na? utang na loob naman ayusin nyo serbisyo nyo kung gusto nyo pa ako magbayad this month... pweh!

Anonymous,  May 8, 2013 at 4:42 AM  

DO NOT GET WI-TRIBE - THEY'RE VERY DISAPPOINTING! AFTER 2 YEARS OF SUFFERING FROM REALLY BAD CONNECTION AND PAYING FOR 998 EVERY MONTH (WITH SPEED THAT NEVER EVEN REACHED 0.8 MBPS) - EVEN THE TERMINATION PROCESS IS JUST AS PAINFUL! THEY SAID I NEED TO GO TO ANY WI-TRIBE CENTER JUST TO DE-ACTIVATE MY ACCOUNT (WHICH IS NOT WHAT THE AGENT WHO MADE THE SALE TOLD ME, HE SAID I CAN JUST CALL AND HAVE THE ACCOUNT DE-ACTIVATED), APPARENTLY, THEY WILL REALLY MAKE THE DE-ACTIVATION PROCESS VERY INCONVENIENT SO YOU WON'T OPT OUT! PLEASE, I'M BEGGING YOU.. IF YOU'RE EVER CONSIDERING ON GETTING WI-TRIBE, EVEN THE 'NO LOCK-IN PERIOD' PLAN - THIS WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE MISERABLE!

WHEN YOU CALL THEM FOR A NEW ACCOUNT - THEY'RE JUST A PHONE CALL AWAY AND WILL BE THERE IN NO TIME.

WHEN YOU NEED THEM FOR SUPPORT - THEY'RE PRETTY USELESS

WHEN YOU WANT THEM TO CANCEL / TERMINATE YOUR ACCOUNT - THEY WILL EVEN MAKE YOUR LIFE A LIVING HELL!

CONSIDER THIS A WARNING - DO NOT GET WI-TRIBE!

Anonymous,  August 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM  

same here everything is a mess! im thinking of cutting my wi tribe coz its useless even simple surfing on facebook is very irritating.when you tell your concerns to customer service recorded lahat ng sinasabi "base po sa data sumobra n kyo ng usage and i was like what? i cant even open google or even anything. super scam talaga. actually theres no unlimited surfing trust me.

so please lang if your planning to subscribe to wi tribe wag na lang sayang ang money nyo. worthless ang witribe

Anonymous,  August 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM  

unreliable ISP source thats wi tribe

Everything stated in their ad is FAKE.

wi tribe the slowest connection ever.
Please dont subsribe to witribe!!

wi tribe the leader in post paid complaints!

Mateo Immanuel August 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM  

Hi Guys!

This blog post is really old and to my surprise, it still draws reads and comments. To update you with my Wi-Tribe woes, I have gotten rid off my account/contract upon contacting their customer support and complaining through NTC. It was actually a swift process. They stopped billing me and weeks after, they went in my home to get their modem.

I suggest you guys to file a complaint through NTC (accessible to its website). Detail out your experience. I actually thought that my complaint would not stand since I am under a 24-month lock-in contract. But I reiterated that my connection is really unreliable. You guys should do the same.

BTW, I switched to Globe DSL

Anonymous,  October 15, 2013 at 6:47 AM  

Bogus si Wi - Tribe burn them the tribe way. Madalas only 16kbps minsan 5 pa ung 1mbps plan ko. Imagine nasa Caloocan pako nito. Shame.. I never get to finish my download unless i get up pass 3am tapos after 6am wala na ulit connection. Di naman sila nagexplain about sa disconnection and limit stuffs especially the part na 3 hrs a day lang ang good connection nila.

guibelson yaras April 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM  

Wew buti na lang nag search muna ako, mag su-subscribe na sana ako sa wi-tribe, phew that was close.... pero curious ako kung ganito parin ang wi-tribe ngayong 2014

.